If you were scrolling through your Twitter timeline this past Sunday after the USWNT won their second straight World Cup Finals, you may have seen this unconventional congratulatory tweet from the Bleacher Report Football account:
The image tweeted features SOME of the members of the USWNT and a slew of other athletes, actors, fictional TV characters, recording artists, and Marvel superheroes behind an American flag backdrop. Weird, right? Twitter thought so too:
Can't believe Bleacher Report deleted this gloriously random tweet, no matter, the image is now burned into my retina 😂😂😂
"Shall we include the entire @USWNT squad, we still have space?"
"Nah, stick Lisa Kudrow and Iron Man in instead"
Wild 😂 pic.twitter.com/7XvgVUMR2N
— Scottish Mick (@Mickdeee) July 8, 2019
Bleacher Report tweets dumb USWNT graphic, gets roasted, deletes it https://t.co/Z6dzbdgcLI pic.twitter.com/HynC4DeHUg
— Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) July 7, 2019
Best part of the USWNT Bleacher Report mural is that three sitcom casts, two Marvel superheroes and a Canadian made it over Brooks Koepka pic.twitter.com/Yp9xYvfZoN
— Joel Beall (@JoelMBeall) July 7, 2019
Although the Bleacher Report account deleted the tweet, Twitter users like myself couldn’t stop staring at the image. There is just no rhyme or reason behind the people featured, just too many questions and not enough answers.
For fun, let’s take a look at some of the people that make sense to be featured in the picture vs. people that don’t.
People that makes sense:
- Billie Jean King: Much like the USWNT, BJK has been on the forefront of fighting for women’s equality in sports. She is a fantastic leader, role model, and athlete. It makes complete sense for her to be in the picture.
- Simone Biles: A multiple time gold medalist as apart of the notorious “Final Five” gymnastics team that represented our country in the 2016 Olympics. You can make the case that Simon belongs in the picture.
- Sue Bird: One of the most iconic basketball players in WNBA history. A 3x WNBA Champion, who has voiced her support for her girlfriend Megan Rapinoe and the USWNT on multiple occasions.
- Zach Ertz: Husband to Julie Ertz. Zach is an elite tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles and made his support for the team known by skipping OTA’s to cheer on the USWNT squad.
- Oprah: When I first saw Oprah on there I thought it was a stretch, until I saw this tweet. Perfect form, first touch pass, and repping the jersey. Oprah earned her way on here.
Did y’all see that soccer game today? So proud of the USA Women’s National Soccer team! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 @USWNT pic.twitter.com/h94JKAdtgU
— Oprah Winfrey (@Oprah) June 29, 2019
People that don’t make sense:
- The cast of Friends: Do I even have to explain this? Yes, it’s an iconic American TV show, but they have absolutely nothing to do with the USWNT. You can not tell me that Ross Geller in any way represents what that team accomplished.
- Michael Scott: While beloved by almost everyone who’s seen shown, the character Michael Scott has a history of being a major sexist. He once thought that being called a misogynist was a compliment.
- Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie: I guess if you put one of them on you have to put on the other? I don’t remember there being any mention of soccer in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- Travis Scott: SICKO MODE may be a good way to describe how well the team played, but featuring Travis Scott in this photo is very random.
- Kobe Bryant: Kobe is a huge soccer fan and a major supporter of equality in women’s sports. I could see how one would justify Kobe being featured in this picture.
- Iron Man: Although hysterical, Iron Man does represent great leadership, courage, and sacrifice, all qualities that the USWNT exudes.
The purpose of this image could have very well have been to generate this type of response. Throw out an image so bizarre that it just people have to talk about it. Maybe they were being ironic and goofy. More likely, it was a comical mistake.
Maybe there’s some type of hidden meaning that the internet is yet to decode. If you can figure it out, please let us know.